Sunday 30 September 2012

An Autumn Walk, and Thoughts of Christmas

The temperature is dropping, so we dug out our jumpers and set off for a walk over the heathland.  It's our favourite place to go, as it's very close to home and the kids can tramp for miles.  The foliage is just starting to change colour, and I loved seeing the occasional flash of red and orange.




  


The kids had great fun climbing trees, hiding in bushes, jumping off tree trunks and generally being kids!




I found a tiny pine seedling, growing among the tall grasses, and the kids thought it was hilarious when I lay down in the leaf mould to photograph it.


We also found lots of squirrel picnics - practically every stump had the remains of a pine cone snack on it!

We came home to a roast dinner and it was here that my thought turned to Christmas.  I have been reading Cottons 'n Wool's blog and absolutely loving how Anne decorates her home for the holidays.  I would love to have my house full of seasonal quilts, so I grabbed a pencil and started work.  Here's the design I came up with.

Okay, so my drawing skills aren't up to much, but hopefully you get the picture!  I want to use some Kansas Trouble plaids that have been calling me for a long time, so I think I'll make these into half square triangles to make scrappy squares.  I can't decide which fabric to use for the border to the applique - tiny reindeer or holly leaves?



I made a matching design, based on my tiny pine seedling, but I'm going to polish up my drawings before I share this with you.  Perhaps I should invest in some software?

I'm seeing my chiropractor tomorrow, which I hope will mean I will be able to make a start on this tomorrow!  I am itching to get going...



No comments:

Post a Comment