Saturday 29 September 2012

Macmillan Coffee, and coasters

Every year Macmillan Cancer Support hosts a World's Biggest Coffee Morning to raise funds for this very worthwhile charity.  Coffee mornings are held all over the country, by individuals, businesses and organisations.  This year, a very good friend asked me to help her host one, so I jumped on board!

My house this week has felt like the set from The Great British Bake Off!  The passion, the tears, the jubilation, the desperation.  All have visited the Quilt Patch this week.  I first decided to make a Dundee cake, as that could be made a few days in advance, and I love fruit cake!  Unfortunately, my oven is a bit tricky, temperature-wise, as it's fan assisted.  I usually just drop the temperature by about 20 degrees, and all is fine.  Not this time though.  The published cooking time was 2 - 2 1/2 hours, and by 1 3/4 hours my cake was overcooked!  Not by much, but more than I would have liked.  I didn't have enough ingredients to go again, so it would have to do.

Next I made a lemon syrup cake, courtesy of Nigella.  I do love her recipes, and this came out just right.  My Easy Chocolate Cake was next up.  I have made this a few times now, and it is by far the yummiest, and easiest I've ever made.  All was going well, until I came to ice it.  I still don't know what exactly went wrong, but the chocolate and cream mixture ejected all of the fat solids.  I have never seen this before, and again, I had no spare chocolate to make more.  I had to make do with a sprinkling of icing sugar on top.

Finally I made Spiced Pumpkin Latte Cupcakes from this recipe I found on Pinterest.  I just love these!  They have just the right amount of spice, and a very subtle hint of coffee.  They look incredible too.

As this is supposed to be a patchwork blog, I did knock together a few coasters to put in the raffle.  Unfortunately this is all the sewing I've been able to do in the past couple of weeks.  Here are a few pictures.






I paticularly liked the quilting on the trees, and I even hand quilted the brown/green ones.  Unfortunately I forgot to photograph the finished article!

The good news is that our coffee morning raised £500 for Macmillan, so we were absolutely thrilled with that!

1 comment: