Tuesday 2 October 2012

A Slight Change of Plan

I started working on my little snowman yesterday.  I was so excited to get sewing again, I felt faintly ridiculous.  I'm sure other quilters will appreciate this feeling!

I love laying out the fabrics and swapping them around to find the perfect combination.  Unfortunately, it just wasn't happening.  I love my plaids, I mean really love them.  They are my favourite fabrics bar none, but I just could not make them sing for me.  Back to my stash I went to rethink my plan of action.  I found a lone charm pack of 'Adoring' by Sandy Gervais looking very folorn on the shelf, and thought the blues and aquas might give me the touch of iciness I was hoping for.

I made so many mistakes while making this.  I guess that's what happens when you leap straight into things before planning them properly.  Lesson well and truly learnt!  I forgot to reverse my applique, which didn't matter a great deal, except I did particularly want his hat dangling to the left.  I was using the charm pack to make half square triangles, and I wasn't thinking about what size they would be.  I made four at a time using this method, which I thought would give me the least wastage.  I hadn't considered the bias edges, and they were a pain to deal with.  I'd starch them if I were to do this again.  I started sewing them together, and then realised that I didn't like the size, so had to cut them all down!  Finally, I sewed them together wrongly.  I couldn't be bothered to unpick at this stage, so I just had to make do!  Here is what I did.


He looks a bit sad with no eyes, but they are going to be buttons, so have to wait til last.  I have almost finished the quilting today, so hopefully tomorrow I will have a finish to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment