Sunday 14 October 2012

Winter Trees

This is the name I have decided upon for my flannel quilt.  It seemed fitting to me, as the fabric range is Shaded Oaks by Holly Taylor and I have quilted it with an all over tree design.  I finished quilting it on Friday and finally got the binding on this afternoon.  Here it is in all its snugly glory.

 I really do love these colours.  They remind me of walks in the woods on frosty mornings.  Coincidentally, today we had our first frost.  I am still hoping to fit in a stroll in the woods, but both time and daylight are starting to run out.


 This is my first attempt at an all over design, and the little trees seemed most appropriate to me.  Okay, I know they look like arrows, but I think they have a cute charm!  It wasn't the easiest to quilt, as all those layers of flannel were pretty bulky in the throat of my machine.  My neck and shoulders were definitely complaining at the end.  What are the chances of Father Christmas filling my stocking with a lovely long arm this year?


 I used the sashing fabric to back it also, just to keep things simple.  It shows the quilting up very well.  I was tempted to use a fancy thread in the bobbin, but haven't quite built up enough courage to try yet!  Maybe I'll experiment on a small quilt first...

Now I need to wash it, and I'm rather afraid it will shrink too much, or become too wrinkly.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment