Saturday 12 January 2013

Making progress

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to try a new basting method.  Well, I used this method and I am so impressed!  The quilt is double bed sized, and usually this would take me about 4 hours to baste on the floor.  Not to mention the aching neck, back, knees and wrists.  I was all done in 2 hours, and the basting was far more extensive than usual.  As this all took place on my dining table there was no aching involved.  I can see me using this method all the time in future.  I was worried that I was going to get fed up of cutting the basting from the area to be quilted, but it has been no problem whatsoever. 

Here is the basting, if you can make it out (you can click on the picture to enlarge)



This is the next square to be quilted, so I just need to clip a couple of threads before I start.

I'm using a variegated thread by King Tut.  I think these may be my favourite threads for machine quilting.  I love the finish they give, and they glide so smoothly through my (increasingly more finickety) machine.  Here is the pattern I have chosen for the quarter square triangles.


I know my fmq needs improving, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking.  I'm about a third of the way through these blocks, and growing in confidence with each one.


I still have to decide how to quilt the alternate blocks


I'm swaying towards an orange peel design.  What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. I've just send you a message on Facebook, for a quilt request. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Karin

    ReplyDelete