Wednesday 9 January 2013

Friendships

Do you ever wonder what sort of a friend you are?  I have been asking myself this question just recently.  I think I am generally a fairly good friend.  I'm a great listener, and a solution finder.  I like finding things that people need.  I'm very easy going, and don't have huge expectations - I'm low maintenance!  I remember birthdays (I may not always remember to buy a present, but I remember the day!)  All in all, I don't think I'm too bad.

However, there is an uncomfortable truth I have to face.  I am also the person who gave my very best friend an unfinished quilt for Christmas in 2011.  I hadn't quilted it as I was about to attend a free motion quilting course, and I wanted to use my new skills on this project.  How is it, then, that one year later I am no further forward with this quilt?  What sort of friend am I really?

You will be pleased to know that I am putting this right.  Despite having a host of ideas whirling around my head, I have pushed them aside for now.  I am determined that the first quilt I finish this year will be my friend's.  I have finished the border and am ready to start making my sandwich.  Fortunately I have everything here I need to complete it, so there are no excuses.

I have been looking at Sharon Schamber's herringbone basting method here. I like the look of it, and I think I'm going to try it for this quilt.  It's the biggest one I've made in a while, and the last double bed quilt I had trouble keeping the backing flat, even with extensive basting.  I'm hoping this will help.

Here is the top at the moment. 




I really love all the different greens in this, and the little bits of red to add some zing.  I hope I can do it justice with the quilting.  If you are reading, my friend, thanks for being patient with me, and for being the friend I'd like to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment