Sunday 1 July 2012

My Quilts in Their First Exhibition

I've never contemplated exhibiting my quilts before.  Much as I love looking at other peoples' quilts I've shyed away from offering my own up for scrutiny.  However, when I heard that my local quilt group were a bit short on numbers I decided to finally take the plunge.

It would have been much easier if I had decided more than 3 hours before the entry deadline, but hey.  I like working to a tight deadline!  I spent the afternoon furiously sewing on hanging sleeves and labels, and finished just in time.

I took along my Mum and Grandmother to the show.  It's in a garden centre, and it's run alongside a rose exhibition.  Can you guess what they call it?  Quilts and Roses!  Despite some fairly atrocious weather the exhibition was well attended.  It's not huge, I think there may have been around 40 quilts, but to see mine hanging there too was a real thrill.  I was surprised at how nervous I felt.  Of course, every pucker, or missed stitch seemed to be screaming out at me, but no one else seemed to notice.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera - can you believe it?  Instead I shall just give you the pictures I already have of my entries.  It such a shame, as they looked great hanging up.  Still, I shall mark it down to experience - and remember it next time!

This is Daisy Pinwheels, and was my first attempt at freemotion quilting.  I am really pleased with how the flowers turned out.





This was another first for me - paper piecing.  I had been too scared to even give it a try, believing it to be too difficult.  Needless to say, it wasn't, once I'd worked out where to start!




This table runner is made from Moda Bella solids, and a striped fabric I found in my stash that worked perfectly.  I love the fresh colours.




It was this quilt that I was most nevous about.  I fell in love with the fabric range - Reunion by Sweetwater, and took my inspiration from the bunting fabric for the quilting design.



My final quilt was a Union Jack.  With the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics this year the UK has gone Union flag crazy.  I've sold quite a few of these, and variations thereof on my Etsy store.




No comments:

Post a Comment